The Royal Anglian & Royal Lincolnshire

Regimental Association

Badge, Royal Anglian Regt

LINCOLN BRANCH

Badge, Royal Lincolnshire Regt

Home
Books & Publications
Contacts
Diary - Future
Diary - Past Events
History
Links
Medals
Membership
Memories
Museum
Music
Photographs
Personalities
Rulebook
Shop
Web Design



Please visit the Royal British Legion website Please visit the SAAFA website
Please visit the Royal Anglian Regiment's web pages Please visit website of His Majesty's Tenth Regiment of Foot, American Contingent
Please visit the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment Galleries at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life Please visit the Royal Anglian Museum (Duxford) Website
Armed Forces Day Sponsors
   
 

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

DVD for Sale

Sobraon Barracks - Today

TA Centre, Burton Road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN1 3PY


Sobraon Barracks is home to:

212 Field Hospital (Volunteers) Territorial Army

3rd Battalion (Steelbacks) The Royal Anglian Regiment (Army Reserve Infantry Battalion) Territorial Army

Sobraon Detactment, Lincolnshire Army Cadet Force

Newport Detachment, Lincolnshire Army Cadet Force

1 Company HQ, Lincolnshire Army Cadet Force

204 (Lincoln) Squadron, Air Training Corps



Sobraon Barracks - History

Sobraon Barracks, 1880 Sobraon Barracks, 2006

1880: The black and white picture (above) is of the New Barracks were completed in the late 1870s, as a base for the North Lincolnshire Regiment. The Lincolnshire Regiment was raised in 1685. The name SOBRAON refers to the Regiment's most famous Battle Honour, gained during the Sikh Wars (the Battle of Sobraon, 10th February 1846).

2006: The colour photograph (above) is how Sobraon Barracks looked 136 years later. The gateway, the guradroom and much of the perimeter wall has gone, but despite that, the old place still looks very much as it did in 1880.

Sphinx

The distinctive Sphinx badge can still be seen - set in stone, just to the left of where the gateway used to be. The "X" is a reminder of the Regiment's origins - as the Tenth Regiment of Foot. From 1782 the Regiment was called the 10th (North Lincolnshire) Foot. The 10th Foot was awarded the Sphinx emblem and Honour EGYPT for service under Wellington in 1801. In 1881 (just after Sobraon Barracks was built) the name was changed to The Lincolnshire Regiment.

Original Gate Aisne Close Aisne Close

The gates to the park behind Sobraon barracks (between Aisne Close and Cambrai Close) were modelled on the original gates to the barracks.

North Gate to Sobraon Park, looking from Aisne Close. East Gate to Sobraon Park, looking from Cambrai Close. Site of the old NAAFI shop leading onto Cricket Field. Arnhem Close, site of the old hospital and lecture rooms. Blenheim Square was part of the old Drill Square. On Somme Close were the old married quarters. Steinkirk Maitland


On 6th October 2012 The Lincolnshire Regiment Memorial, Sobraon Park, Lincoln was unveiled.

The Sphinx Badge has long been associated with the Lincolnshire Regiment.