Sumatra: 1945 - 1946
Mr John Searby has kindly allowed us to publish his photographs here
This selection of photographs is from John's time in Sumatra and includes Padang, Medan and Palembang. John served as an MT Driver, with the 1st Battalion, The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment.
Some pictures on this page include Japanese soldiers. According to John, British Troops were sent in to Sumatra with orders to disarm the Japanese, but it was soon evident the Japanese were not at all keen to agree. Disarming them was not possible, but they reluctantly agreed to taking orders from the British, whilst keeping up the appearance of governing the majority of the Country themselves.
- Hover over picture to read caption
- Click each image to enlarge
- John G Smith's photographs of Sumatra 1945 - 1946
- John Searby's War Department Driving Permits
- John Searby's photographs of Malaya (1946)
- John Searby's photographs of Palestine (1947)
- Robert McAllister's History of the 7th Battalion 1940-1941 (PDF - may take a few seconds to download)