Freedom Parade, Lincoln, 22 March 2007
The 2nd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment
Click each image to enlarge.
On 22 March 2007, a detachment of more than 200 soldiers of the 2nd Battalion (Poachers), The Royal Anglian Regiment, exercised their right to March through Lincoln with swords drawn and bayonets fixed. Many of the young men were wearing medals won in Iraq during the last 12 months. The freedom of the City of Lincoln was granted to the 2nd Battalion in 1997.
The Battalion marched from Tentercroft Street, up High Street, Newland and Orchard Street to their destination - City Hall. Following the Parade Sergeant, and the Poacher himself, marched the Corps of Drums and the Minden Band, before the troops and the Regiment's colours.
Notice the Eagle badge, seen here on the drummer's sleeve: The 2nd Battalion are descendants of the 44th (East Essex) Regiment. During the Napoleonic wars, at the Battle of Salamanca, in 1812, Lieutenant Pearce of the 2/44th East Essex Regiment, captured the Imperial Eagle of the French 62me Ligne. French Regimental Eagles were the equivalent of a British Regiment's Colours, so were guarded fiercely. The 2/44th were part of Lieutenant General Sir James Leith's Fifth Division, and the British strategist directing action was the Duke of Wellington.
Today, all ranks wear Salamanca Eagle on the upper left sleeve of No. 2 Dress.