The Royal Anglian & Royal Lincolnshire

Regimental Association

Badge, Royal Anglian Regt

LINCOLN BRANCH

Badge, Royal Lincolnshire Regt

Home
Books & Publications
Contacts
Diary - Future
Diary - Past Events
History
Links
Medals
Membership
Memories
Museum
Music
Photographs
Personalities
Rulebook
Shop
Web Design



Please visit the Royal British Legion website Please visit the SAAFA website
Please visit the Royal Anglian Regiment's web pages Please visit website of His Majesty's Tenth Regiment of Foot, American Contingent
Please visit the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment Galleries at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life Please visit the Royal Anglian Museum (Duxford) Website
Armed Forces Day Sponsors
  Lincoln Branch Minutes
   
 

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

DVD for Sale

Extracts from Council Minutes

The North Lincolnshire Militia

Lincoln (and its County) had a military force for some years prior to the raising of the Earl of Bath's Regiment in 1685 (The 10th of Foot). It was not until 1782 that the Regiment became firmly connected to Lincolnshire and took the name "The 10th North Lincolnshire Regiment". The following extracts are from the research of Al Garrod and were found in old Council Minute Books in Lincolnshire County Archives. They illustrate the Militia's importance in the City of Lincoln.

NB: The spelling and grammar of the quoted extracts that follow are exactly as the original, not typographical errors!

1760 - King George III - Accession to the Throne

On 31 October 1760, a proclamation announcing the new King - King George III - was delivered to the public at various places throughout the City of Lincoln. It was the custom for the Mayor and the whole of the Council to be present at the reading of proclamations, all in Ceremonial Dress. On this occasion, the procession was joined by Lincolnshire's two Members of Parliament and the men of the Lincolnshire Militia. Three hundred of them - sounds like a formidable force!

“This Day in the afternoon his Majesty King George the third was proclaimed King in eight several places within this City, (viz.) Upon the Green in the Parish of Saint Botolph, against the Corn Market Hill, at the StoneBow, at Dunston Lock, before the Bail Gates, in Newport, in Eastgate, and upon the Thornbridge, by the Town Clerk, the Cryer repeating every sentence in a loud Voice; In the Presence of Mr Mayor and the Aldermen in their Gowns, the Sheriffs, Common CouncilMen and Chaomberlains in their Gowns, The Right Honorable Lord Monson and Thomas Wishcott Esquire (Representative for the County) And many other Gentlemen, Citizens and Inhabitants, all on Horseback; preceded by – the City Colours, Twenty Constables and two Beadles with white Rods, And two French Horns, on foot; The City Musick, Sheriffs’ and Mayor’s Officers on Horseback; And followed by three hundred of the Lincolnshire Militia with Major Glover at their Head (who made a fine appearance); The Procession ending with a very great Concourse of People testifying their Joy with loud Proclamations: In pursuance of a letter and proclamation sent down to Mr Mayor from the Privy Council.”

“After his Majesty was proclaimed as aforesaid, Mr Mayor, the Aldermen and the rest of the Body of this City, and many other Gentlemen went to the ReinDeer Inn, where an Elegant Entertainment was provided at the City’s Expense. With Wine and other Liquors to drink his Majesty’s and the Royal Family’s Healths, and Ale was given to the Populace; The Evening concluded with Bonfires, Illuminations, Ringing of Bells, Variety of other musick and every other usual Demonstration of Joy.” (L1/1/1/7, p423)

1792 - Musician Becomes Militia Officer

Lincolnshire Archives also have the Militia Commission of Richard Gardiner, Gent., bestowed on 21 December 1792, by the Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire, Brownlow, Duke of Ancaster & Kesteven, Marquis and Earl of Lindsey. The commission places Gardiner in charge of morale, order and discipline of the Militia (Royal Northern Regiment of the Militia in the County of Lincoln) and all his "inferior officers". (Lincolnshire County Archives, Ref: Misc Dep 211). It is intriguing, that 20 years earlier, Gardiner had been one of the City Waits (The Mayor's Band of Musicians)(L1/1/1/7, p550).

Bell Ringers

During the early 19th Century, one Lincoln custom was to ring the Church Bells of St Peter's at Arches as a welcome to important visitors. The City Council paid the Bell Ringers and instructed them when their services were required. The City Account Books tell us that Lincoln was host to various Militia regiments, not only the "home-grown" ones - here are just a few extracts from the many times that the Bell ringers welcomed Milita Regiments to Lincoln:

There are a few more one-off entries in the City Accounts that mention soldiers. The following three serve as examples:

Wellington himself gets a mention too, when the Church bells are rung to celebrate various victories in battle:


7th June 1839: Musical Instruments - South Lincolnshire Militia

Return of the Musical Instruments in the Stores of the Royal South Lincolnshire Militia, New Sleaford (KQS/RSLM/7/2 - Militia Clothing and Shoes, Royal South Lincoln Militia).




All the references on this page are for documents in the care of Lincolnshire County Archives