The Royal Anglian & Royal Lincolnshire

Regimental Association

Badge, Royal Anglian Regt

LINCOLN BRANCH

Badge, Royal Lincolnshire Regt

Home
Books & Publications
Contacts
Diary - Future
Diary - Past Events
History
Links
Medals
Membership
Memories
Museum
Music
Photographs
Personalities
Rulebook
Shop
Web Design



Please visit the Royal British Legion website Please visit the SAAFA website
Please visit the Royal Anglian Regiment's web pages Please visit website of His Majesty's Tenth Regiment of Foot, American Contingent
Please visit the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment Galleries at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life Please visit the Royal Anglian Museum (Duxford) Website
Armed Forces Day Sponsors
   
 

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

DVD for Sale

Photographs

1938. 2nd Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment. Portland & Weymouth.

These photographs are reproduced by kind permission of Mr Laurie Buttery.

Laurie discovered these pictures with some family documents that came into his possession some years ago.

The Battalion and Band marched the five and a half miles between Weymouth and Portland, to meet the King.

The following text is reprinted courtesy of the Regimental Collection, Museum of Lincolnshire Life, and is therfore Copyright of The Royal Lincolnshire Regimental Museum Trust/Lincolnshire County Council, © All Rights Reserved:

 

"All infantry battalions have a set of drums, but the 2nd battalion managed the unique feat of having theirs presented by King George VI, hence 'The King's Drums'. This was due to the efforts of the Battalion's Commanding Officer, Lt Col P H 'Percy' Hansen, VC DSO MC. In 1938, the 2nd Battalion were stationed at Portland, in Doreset, and Hansen heard that the King was to visit the Fleet. Hansen was well known in court circles, so he contacted Buckingham Palace and managed to get the King to agree to present a new set of drums as part of his official programme. The Navy co-operated, and thus the Battalion received 'The King's Drums' on 22nd June 1938, the only drums presented to an infantry battalion of the British Army by a reigning monarch. The drums are now held by the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment."