The Royal Anglian & Royal Lincolnshire

Regimental Association

Badge, Royal Anglian Regt


Badge, Royal Lincolnshire Regt

Books & Publications
Diary - Future
Diary - Past Events
Web Design

Please visit the Royal British Legion website Please visit the SAAFA website
Please visit the Royal Anglian Regiment's web pages Please visit website of His Majesty's Tenth Regiment of Foot, American Contingent
Please visit the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment Galleries at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life Please visit the Royal Anglian Museum (Duxford) Website
Armed Forces Day Sponsors
  Lincoln Branch Minutes

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional


London - Wellington Barracks, 14th August to 19th September 1929

These photographs and information were sent to us by Mr Steven James Forster of Sutton Coldfield.

"On the 24th April, 1929, the Battalion, then a unit of the 12th Infantry Brigade at Dover, was notified that it had been selected to proceed to London in the August of that year to carry out Public Duties in relief of the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards.

On the 14th August the Battalion, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel F. S. Thackeray, D.S.O., M.C. (strength, 24 Officers and 556 Other Ranks), entrained at Dover, and on arrival at Victoria Station, London, was met by the Band of the Irish Guards and Pipers of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards and marched to Wellington Barracks, when it was received by Major-General C. E Corkran, C.B., C.M.G., G.O.C. London District, and remained quartered throughout the visit. From 14th August to 21st August the 1st Battalion Scots Guards was also quartered in Wellington Barracks.

Major-General C. R. Simpson, C.B., Colonel of the Lincolnshire Regiment, visited the Battalion twice during its tour of duty. The first occasion was when the Battalion found the Public Duties on the 20th August, and the second occasion when the Reunion of Old Comrades took place on the 15th September.

During this time the Battalion shared Public Duties with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards and 1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters, taking duties every third day.

The ceremony of mounting the King's Guard was carried out at Buckingham Palace. Their Majesties the King and Queen were in residence up to the 24th August, on which date the Court moved to Sandringham. After the departure of Their Majesties, the ceremony continued to take place at Buckingham Palace owing to repairs to Friary Court, St. James's Palace.

Guards were also found at the Magazine in Hyde Park and the Central London Recruiting Depot. The Bank of England Picquet mounted each evening.

A Reunion of all ranks of all Battalions of the Regiment was held at Wellington Barracks during the afternoon of Sunday, 15th September, during which time they were the guests of the 1st Battalion. After roll-call the parade, consisting of a company of serving soldiers as well as Old Comrades, marched to the Cenotaph in Whitehall, when the Colonel of the Regiment placed a wreath in memory of all those of the Lincolnshire Regiment who gave their lives in the Great War. On the 18th September the G.O.C. London District sent to the Commanding Officer a letter, of which the following is an extract :—

  • " May I just say how very much the good behaviour and the smart turn-out of your Battalion have been appreciated during your stay up here ? The smartness on Guards and Duties has been specially noted by all, not only here, but at the War Office as well."

On the 19th September the Battalion marched to Victoria Station, where Field-Marshal Sir Claud W. Jacob, G.C.B., K.C.S.I., K.C.M.G., the Colonel of The Worcestershire Regiment, saw them off on their return to Dover."

Update - C.S.M. James Bernard Jones

from his great niece, Annabel Brown

Steven James Forster sent these photographs to us in 2008. Then in 2014, Annabel Brown contacted us to say that she was delighted to see her great uncle, C.S.M. James Bernard Jones in one of Steven's photographs. He is in the front row of the second photograph above (photograph repeated below). Annabel tells us that James Jones joined the Lincolnshire Regiment in July 1906, at that time his service number was 7771. He was awarded the 1914 star, British War Medal and Victory medal with that number. Sometime after 1915 he goes to the Army Gymnastic Staff and is awarded the M.S.M. in the Peace Gazette with the number 1760. In 1925 he is awarded a Long Service and Good Conduct medal, his service number is 4792392. On his service record under Medals, decorations and annuities the words "& clasp" are written. This could apply to either the 1914 star or the M.S.M.

Warrant Officers and Sergeants, 1st Bn. on duty in London, Wellington Barracks, September 1929.

If you know anything about James Bernard Jones, please contact our Webmaster - - as Annabel is keen to discover the whereabouts of his medals and his grave.

Update - Lance Sergeant B Ash

from John Charles II Calhoun

13 Sep 2015
I am a very proud Grandson of B ASH. I understand that he was one of few from his unit to come home from Dunkirk during WWII. My Grandfather's name appears on two rosters on your web site. He appears at Wellington Barracks (1929) and in Palestine (1935/6). In 1983 when I was back home in England on leave from West Berlin, I had the rare hounour of meeting Captain Bernard Kimes widow, as her husband was held in very high esteem by my Grandfather. I currently live in the U.S.

17 Sep 2015
I can identify two of the soldiers that are in the 1929 picture of the Warrant Officer and Sergeants: #4796539 Lance Sgt B Ash is in the second row, second from the left; the bandmaster in the middle was Captain Bernard Kimes. He and my grandfather were good friends throughout their service with both the 1st and later the 2nd Battalion during both the special duty in Palestine and WWII.